Palliative and Grief Support Navigator
The Palliative Care Society of the Bow Valley desires to implement a loss and grief program for the benefit of residents of the Bow Valley. The communities include the Stoney Nakoda First Nations Morley, the Bow Valley component of the Municipal District of Bighorn (Kananaskis Settlement, Lac des Arc, Dead Man’s Flats, Exshaw, Harvie Heights), Canmore, Banff, and Lake Louise.
The scope of this position is broad and reflects the long-term goals of the Society. It is expected that emphasis on the various duties and responsibilities identified below will evolve as the Society becomes known in the Bow Valley.
The Palliative and Grief Support Navigator will develop and coordinate a program to support clients and family members within the Bow Valley on their palliative journey and through loss and grief.
• Proven experience in loss and grief counselling with individuals and groups
• Proven experience in program development and community engagement
• Knowledge of loss and grief theory and therapeutic interventions
• Proficiency in service coordination, intake and referral for patient support
• Experience in creating, coordinating and implementing a volunteer program
• Excellent communication & listening skills
• Commitment to the Society’s goals and objectives
• Experience with non-profit organizations
• BSW or BA (psychology, counselling, spiritual care or equivalent)
40 hrs/week. Flexible schedule. It may be necessary to meet clients in evenings and on weekends.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Navigator will develop a coordinated plan which will allow for ongoing growth of programs and services. The plan will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Develop, coordinate and oversee activities such as grief cafes, grief walks, support groups, a call-in hospice support system, and a speaker series
• Liaise with a variety of community organizations in the provision of the
• Intake and assessment of clients
• Counsel clients, referring to appropriate agencies as necessary
• Develop and coordinate a volunteer training program
• Create and build a resource library consisting of videos, podcasts, current articles, books, and keep the Resource Guide updated
• Administer schedules, budgets, data analysis and communications relative to the Program