|Position Title:||Communications Officer|
|Language Designation:||Bilingual – English (Written and Spoken) and French (Spoken and Comprehension) Essential|
|Supervises:||Communications and Fundraising Assistant|
|Hours per Week:||37.50|
|Salary Range:||$44,000 — $52,000|
To coordinate communications for the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association (CHPCA) as well as provide information and referrals regarding hospice palliative care to health care professionals, patients and caregivers. Promote the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association (CHPCA) mission, membership and Marketplace resources. Provide communications support to the CHPCA. Coordinate and support all media relations activities of the CHPCA. Work with the Executive Director to manage and coordinate the activities and committees of the Quality End-of-Life Care Coalition of Canada (QELCCC).
Scope of Authority and Decision Making
The Communications Officer functions under the direct supervision of the Executive Director. Priorities are determined by the Executive Director in consultation with the Communication Coordinator. The Communication Coordinator is empowered with decision-making authority with respect to the duties and objectives assigned, and make such decisions in consultation with the Executive Director when appropriate.
Experience, Education and Other Qualifications Required
Completed degree or diploma from a recognized university or college in the discipline of Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English, or a related field required. Minimum 3 years relevant work experience in a communications capacity required. Experience in the non-profit, not-for-profit, or voluntary sector is an asset. Excellent English oral and written communication skills are essential, and French oral and comprehension skills are essential. This position is designated Bilingual Imperative (English and French). Excellent communication skills, flexibility, initiative and creativity are all necessary. Must be capable of working in a fast paced environment and respond to urgent requests.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Must be fluently bilingual, in English and FrenchDemonstrated experience in developing and writing briefing materials, press releases, web content and other communications tools
- Ability to write for diverse audiences that requires little editing
- Proofreading and editing skills with an attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, (particularly MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Adobe InDesign, website content management systems and online html marketing e-mail programs
- Strong research and organization skills
- Ability to analyze and reach effective problem-solving solutions
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Ability to respond to urgent requests
Duties & Responsibilities
Living Lessons Campaign/Information Coordination and Policy (20%)
- Coordinate the overall Living Lessons® campaign and the CHPCA information email addresses.
- Respond to information requests and provide assistance, resources, programs and services available to patients, caregivers, family members, doctors, nurses and to the general public.
- Provide referrals and resources to caregivers, family members and friends on how to care for their loved ones.
- Provide information, reading material, statistical data, practical assistance to doctors, nurses, therapists, teachers, students, volunteer, counselors and others involved in hospice palliative care.
- Oversee assessment, selection and acquisition of palliative care resources. Advise and consult with appropriate hospice palliative care teams, or faculty and library staff for accurate information.
- Assist, print and distribute information materials and kits pertaining to hospice palliative care conferences, meetings, lectures and exhibits.
Quality End-of-Life Care Coalition of Canada (QELCCC) (20%)
- Coordinate activities of the QELCCC including all committee teleconferences and actions.
- Provide support to the QELCCC Executive Committee and all committee Chairs.
- Coordinate annual face to face meeting.
- Prepare annual and semi-annual reports.
Editor of AVISO, ehospice and Monthly Update (25%)
- Ensure newsletter is published according to agreed upon deadlines
- Actively pursue advertising opportunities
- Solicit articles from partner groups
- Work with the office team to determine issue content
- Edit all submissions; arrange for translation of all content; and oversee design and layout
- Coordinate distribution of electronic copies
Media Relations (15%)
- Coordinate responses to media inquiries and editorials.
- Develop interview briefing documents and talking points.
- Maintain media contact databases and profile of key media outlets and reporters.
- Prepare media advisories, letters to the editor and other media materials.
- Organize news conferences, press launches and exhibition opportunities.
Website Management (5%)
- Proofread, edit and coordinate translation of articles and content.
- Ensure content is accurate and current.
- Perform necessary updates.
Communications Support and Policy Work (15%)
- Proofread and edit internal and external publications, including briefing notes, position statements, research papers, letters and fact sheets
- Attend meetings and events as required
- Work with the Executive Director to evaluate effectiveness of communications and government relations efforts