Multiple System Atrophy or MSA is a rare, rapidly progressing neurodegenerative disorder that affects the brain, impairing the systems that regulate blood pressure, heart rate and the bladder – many of the basic bodily functions people take for granted every day. However, with much of the current attention focused on more widely known neurological diseases, MSA is overlooked.
This has inspired both the mission of Defeat Multiple System Atrophy Canada – Vaincre l’Atrophie Multisystématisée Canada and MSA United International, a consortium which includes the Canadian organization as a leading partner. Staffed entirely by volunteers, Defeat MSA Canada /Vaincre l’AMS Canada aims to achieve a five-fold mission:
- To build a world that truly supports people with MSA
- To foster better medical education about MSA
- To increase public awareness about living with MSA
- To cultivate promising research into treatments and slowing MSA
- To advance the interests of all people challenged by MSA
For additional information about the disease and organization, please visit the Defeat MSA /Vaincre l’ AMS Canada website.
This is a career opportunity to build and lead a Canadian national organization in partnership with an international
consortium and make a historic difference in the fight against a debilitating and terminal disease.
The Executive Director (ED) provides leadership to build the public profile, brand, revenue, and influence of Defeat MSA/Vaincre l’AMS Canada in accordance with the strategy and priorities established by the Board of Directors (Canada) and Representatives Council of the MSA United International Consortium. As a leader, the ED is responsible for fundraising, prudent fiscal management, strategic planning, operations, communications, and board governance.
- Three or more years of experience in a senior management position with a non-profit organization: knowledge of and compassion for people with MSA or movement disorders preferred
- Five to seven years of experience in a small organization (1-6 people)
- A visionary leader and big picture thinker with the ability to lead, plan and manage change
- Previous success in establishing relationships with stakeholders
- Experience and understanding of board governance
- Excellent written communication skills with public speaking and presentation ability (conversational and reading proficiency in French highly desirable)
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal competency
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Highly self-directed/responsible and accountable
- Flexibility in work hours required including evenings and weekends as needed
- Experience working across multiple cultures to create inclusive and equitable programs
- Demonstrated fundraising success (annual gifts, major gifts, corporate and foundation gifts, and events)
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, collaborate with and motivate board members, staff, and other volunteers
- People-centered and ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Ability to work as a team with personnel of affiliated partners (International travel expected)
- Experience with marketing, public relations, and/or the commercial sector
- Strong organizational abilities including strategic planning and task facilitation
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting
- Demonstrated ability to create effective teams
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, information technology, video conferencing and experience with database management
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in a relevant field such as Business Administration, Public Administration or Non-Profit Management
- $110,000 – $120,000
To submit your application by January 18, 2022, please visit: http://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/
Select the role and ‘Apply’ to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents.
Issues with applying? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about the position? Contact Gina Eisler at email@example.com or 647-529-5106.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.