The Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association 2004 Award of Excellence was presented to devoted hospice palliative care champion, Mr. Jerry Rothstein.
Mr. Rothstein has promoted quality end-of-life care and the role of the volunteer as a full member of the care team at the local, national, and international level. He is a dedicated advocate, writer, and coordinator of volunteer services and quality care.
Mr. Rothstein’s achievements are many and among them include:
- He was a founding Board Member of the Cowichan Valley Hospice Society
- He served as the Coordinator of Volunteer Services and Quality Care; Victoria Hospice Society for thirteen years
- Mr. Rothstein authored and edited; The Caring Community: A Fieldbook for Hospice Palliative Care Volunteer Services (BC)
- He chaired the Task Group on Best Practices and Quality in the Volunteer Component (Health Canada)
- Mr. Rothstein also participated as a keynote speaker and workshop presenter at provincial, national and international conferences
Mr. Rothstein’s accomplishments are best described by his nominators who state: “… Jerry is truly committed to excellence. He is an outstanding innovator and leader.”