The 2017 Pediatric Award of Excellence was presented to Dr. Mike Harlos, a compassionate leader, advocate and visionary for Pediatric Hospice Palliative Care.
Dr. Harlos’ career in pediatric palliative care began with a fellowship in 2005 where during that time, he trained at many notable pediatric facilities across Canada including IWK Children’s Health Centre, Toronto SickKids, Vancouver Children’s Hospital, Canuck Place Hospice, Alberta Children’s Hospital, Stollery Children’s Hospital, Montreal Children’s Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital, and more. Since that time, Dr. Harlos has been a tireless advocate for pediatric palliative care, having worked towards developing a sustainable program for delivery of pediatric palliative care services in Manitoba. Dr. Harlos has served as a mentor, educator, researcher, and compassionate leader within the pediatric palliative care community.
Dr. Harlos’ impressive list of accomplishments includes:
- Leading in the development of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) Pediatric Palliative Care Service.
- Involved in the planning and development of a pediatric hospice that will service Manitoba.
- Was the driving force and one of the founding co-chairs of the Canadian Network of Palliative Care for Children (CNPCC).
- Involved in a variety of research projects leading to numerous publications, including his article on the use of intranasal fentanyl for managing symptoms in palliative newborns.
- Been instrumental in supporting families who opt for home deaths for pediatric patients in Winnipeg through the development of the Pediatric Palliative Care Service.
- Serving as the founding medical director of the Pediatric Palliative Care Service in Winnipeg.
Dr. Harlos has been described as a kind, compassionate leader who advocates for the needs of his patients. His ongoing pursuit of excellence in pediatric palliative care continues to play an important role in the ongoing care of pediatric patients’ lives and the lives of their families in Winnipeg and throughout Canada. It is because of this as well as his many notable accomplishments that Dr. Harlos is the 2017 recipient of the Pediatric Award of Excellence.